GCDS / GUADEC slides and videos
If your slides are not there, send them in.
Labels: gcds, guadec
GCDS days 0,1,2, GUADEC day 1
Lots going on here in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. Here's my update as of Monday 7AM while I wait for breakfast to be served:Done so far:
- All day old+new GNOME meeting, featuring Rosanna this year. On my defense, I was jetlagged and had to take that nap.
- Opening party sponsored by Canonical. Got to see many many old and new faces and partied till 3AM, at which point we walked on the beach back to our hotel rooms.
- Still managed to wake up at 8:30 and sit on the opening panel at 10. Though Vincent thinks that I was quite sleepy,
- Sat through morning keynotes. Loved Walter Bender's presentation tool.
- Had board meeting with RMS over lunch. As usual, he ordered for everyone and it was pretty good. We talked about a couple issues. Nothing surprising.
- Took an afternoon nap and woke up to prepare for my talk 10AM the next day. Finally started typing around midnight, and my performance didn't hit its peak until 3AM or so. Skipped sleep and finished the slides right on time at 8:30AM. The actual slides didn't make more than 30 min to prepare since I used slippy again. For the first time however, I first wrote a paper about what I wanted to talk about: State of Text Rendering.
- Got to the venue, took us ten minutes to find the room, right on time, first session, 10AM, no surprise: no one there. I knew these back-to-back 30min slots are going to be a pain (I didn't decide). Anyway, projector issues, and people just starting to come in, I started at 10:15AM and managed to skip enough stuff to finish on time at 10:30. But Matthew didn't show up until 10:50, so I had to entertain people and do a demo of Matthew's stuff. Was good to see Simon Hausmann again.
- Sat through the Poppler talk and finally met Albert Astals Cid, the Poppler maintainer. Another benefit of co-location.
- Attended the real GUADEC opening in the afternoon with Owen's GNOME Shell keynote. Neat stuff. Got to start playing with it.
- MIA: Had to skip the Nokia party. I hear it was one of the better GUADEC parties, with some real action going on and what not. Oh well. Hopefully I'll make up for it at the Igalia party tonight :-D.
- Actually wrote my school paper about my pre-election activities. Finished by the deadline which at 5AM. Pretty happy about it. May clean it up and publish it here later.
- Meet with Rosanna, Stormy, and J5 today to prepare the foundation finance presentation for adboard and AGM.
- Advisory board meeting all day tomorrow (downstairs in Fataga).
- Prepare GUADEC+Akademy survey to hand out later in the week to see what we are supposed to do for next year.
- GNOME+KDE board meeting to discuss next year plans among other things.
- GNOME Foundation AGM on Thursday 10AM. Ugh, first session again. Hope it's not a no show. Please be there!
- Meet with Albert to discuss fontconfig issues in Poppler as well as better PDF text extraction.
- Meet with Alberto to discuss/design new font chooser dialog.
- Meet with Robster to make him learn how to use slippy.
- Meet with Simon Hausmann to discuss HarfBuzz progress.
- Meet with Jonathan since we're both here.
- Meet with Owen and Cody for a quick Pango BoF, discussing extended attributes and extending markup as well as HarfBuzz plans.
- Perhaps do a BoF on Iran situation since that's the first thing everyone asks. Drop me a line if you're interested.
Humm, anything I'm missing? Poke me if we should meet. Now to breakfast. I'll give fixing my sleeping schedule another try next. Good morning everyone in the mean time.
GUADEC Day 0
Had an excellent afternoon in Amsterdam with my old buddy Mehrdad. Well, the first officer at the Amsterdam border didn't want to let me although I had a Schengen visa, the second one was happy to do so.
Anyway, got to Gran Canaria last night just before midnight, but my luggage decided to spend a night in Barcelona...
Was in board meeting all day today. Vincent is working on sending out the minutes right away.
Looking forward to meeting everyone at the opening party tonight at 9.
Labels: 2009, guadec